The Africa Development Think Tank is a public policy research and analysis think tank addressing development issues affecting Africa. We are interested in articulating actionable policy reform issues from information and knowledge generated on the African continent with a view to applying it to policy decision-making.
Our call to action:
Sustainable Development Goal 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- We want to be more effective in holding governance institutions to account
- We want to enhance involvement of all relevant stakeholders in policy processes
- We are interested in shaping public discourse
We lead in the research and analysis of key economic challenges in Africa.
Our mission is to be a guiding light to governments and organizations interested in economic development issues affecting Africa.
Our independent policy experts and researchers offer thought leadership, rigorous research and analysis that is embedded with the people who create, implement or are impacted by policies. We bring different stakeholders around the table, create an environment for informed debate and ensure everyone’s voice is heard, enabling us to provide advice and training as we design practical solutions together.
Our focus is on economic growth and development, international and regional trade policy, domestic resource mobilization and public finance, and social impact development and analysis .
Our partners include officials from ministries and institutions, international organisations, think tanks, academia and social and economic actors from Africa, Europe and beyond.
What we offer
- Research and analysis
We provide thought-leading rigorous policy research and analysis.
- Advice training and capacity building support
We provide practical policy advice, training and capacity building support. We assist policy practitioners to address constraints to participation in policy reform processes.
- Events, forums and conferences.
We organise and speak at debates, forums, conferences and workshops.
- Partnerships and dialogue
We seek to promote consensus and broad-based consultations on various policy innovations and recommendations by connecting people, brokering partnerships and creating space for dialogue.
- Expert information and insights.
We inform stakeholders through quality, accessible analysis and information as well as provide bespoke background information to our partners and the media.
What sets us apart
- We are more than a think tank. We are researchers and analysts, but we are also facilitators, advisors, evaluators and trainers. It’s that combination of roles which sets us apart from other think tanks. To make policies work we need solid knowledge on what works and what doesn’t, but also to work with the people who are crucial in implementing those policies.
- We are independent. We are not here to defend the interests of anyone, apart from the most vulnerable in society.
- We look beyond promises. We look beyond policy statements and analyse what drives or prevents change. That means looking at all political constraints and incentives.